Xiaomi POCO F1 – The Flagship Killer
Xiaomi recently launched Pocophone F1 / Poco F1 in India. It has sale on mi.com on 12th September at 12.00 PM. It is the first phone under Xiaomi’s newly launched sub-brand Poco. Poco F1 is gaining quite a lot of traction because of its ultra-low pricing and flagship grade specifications. This incredibly cheap device by Xiaomi is going head-on against the OnePlus 6 (latest phone by OnePlus, which is quite famous for building flagship killers). Before going any further, let me give you the specifications of Poco F1.
Is Pocophone F1 the “OnePlus Killer”, which a lot of us were waiting for?
- 18 inch (15.6 cm) 1080p FHD+ LCD display with an 18.7:9 aspect ratio
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection
Design: Android-based iPhone clone (has notch on top & thin bezels on the sides)
CPU- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, up to 2.8 GHz
GPU- Qualcomm Adreno 630, up to 710 MHz
Memory: 8GB+256GB / 6GB + 128GB/ 6GB+64GB
6GB / 8GB LPDDR4X dual-channel memory (RAM)
64GB / 128GB/ 256GB storage options (UFS 2.1)
Battery: 4000mAh, with Quick Charge 3.0 support
Primary 12MP rear camera, 1.4μm large pixel, (f/1.9, dual-pixel autofocus)
Secondary 5MP rear camera, 1.12μm pixel, f/2.0
20MP front camera with Face Recognition
- 4K video, 30 fps
- 1080p, 30 fps
- 720p, 30 fps
- Slow motion video: 720p, 1080p at 240 fps
Software: Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI
- 3-choose-2 hybrid SIM tray (nanoSIM + nanoSIM/microSD)
- USB-C charging port
- 5mm Headphone Jack
- Bluetooth 5.0
- No NFC support
As you have seen above, Poco F1 has flagship-grade specifications. It’ll be available in the 4 following options:-
- POCO F1 (6GB+64GB) – ₹20,999 ($300)
- Model 2 (6GB+128GB) – ₹23,999
- 3rd (8GB+256GB) – ₹28,999
- POCO F1 Armoured Edition (8GB+256GB) – ₹29,999 ($425)
For Now, the phone will not be available in the US, but it will be made available in Europe.
Now the question which comes to the mind is, “How Xiaomi pulled off this amazing feat and made a flagship device at such an affordable price?”. Xiaomi managed to perform this miraculous task due to the following reasons:-
- Manufacturer Xiaomi doesn’t spend much money on marketing their products. Their aggressive pricing, flagship features at a fraction of the price of flagships. Also, Consumers’ word of mouth makes their products quite famous among the masses, especially in developing countries like India, where a lot of people prefer mid-range smartphones.
- The Xiaomi has done a lot of cost-cutting in various departments while manufacturing Poco F1 by using older and cheap materials. For example, Poco F1’s back is made of plastic and aramid fibre(in case of Armoured Edition), which is cheaper and less premium than glass used in Flagships like Samsung Galaxy S9, Note 9, iPhone X, OnePlus 6. Even though plastic & aramid fibre have their own advantages like toughness & less fragility over glass but it definitely is a less premium and cheaper alternative. They have used Corning Gorilla Glass 3 as screen protection measure (even though the latest one is Corning Gorilla Glass 6).
- They have used an LCD screen instead of AMOLED ones (which are generally used in flagship devices). Rear cameras used in the device are good, but not great and the speaker quality is also mediocre.
Comparison of POCO F1 with One Plus 6
Poco F1 has certainly made OnePlus 6 look pricier. OnePlus 6’s base model starts at Rs. 34,999 ($495). While the (8GB+256GB) model costs Rs. 43,999 ($621). Even though Poco F1 is significantly cheaper than OnePlus 6, but it has come at the cost of mediocre design, display & camera (No OIS). OnePlus 6 also runs on Android Oreo(8.1) but it has the advantage that its software OxygenOS is quite similar to Stock Android and isn’t as bloated as MIUI.
Special Cooling in POCO F1
When it comes to performance, POCOPhone has an advantage over OnePlus 6, thanks to Liquid Cooling which keeps the Poco F1 cool even during processor-intensive tasks like gaming. Also, under certain conditions, front camera of Poco F1 has been better than that of OnePlus 6.
So, if you can cope up with the not so great quality in terms of design, display & camera, then you should go for the Poco F1, which gives you the most bang for the buck. Otherwise, go for the OnePlus 6.
Xiaomi is undeniably the king of Mid-Range Smartphones. But it has now stepped onto the territory of OnePlus. OnePlus has dominated the “Flagship Killer” market for some time. But with every new release, the price of its smartphones kept on increasing. But with the release of Poco F1, OnePlus will have to rethink its strategy & pricing. For me, Poco F1 is the “OnePlus Killer”, which a lot of us were waiting for!
Liked this Article, please do leave a Comment Below
Please Click Here for more articles